TACOMA, Wash. – The Round Rock Express (44-30 | 88-60) earned a 12-10 win over the Tacoma Rainiers (40-34 | 77-72) behind a 17-hit night at Cheney Stadium on Saturday. Round Rock’s 88th win is a new club record for wins in a season. The Pacific Coast League second half
TACOMA, Wash. – The Round Rock Express (44-30 | 88-60) earned a 12-10 win over the Tacoma Rainiers (40-34 | 77-72) behind a 17-hit night at Cheney Stadium on Saturday. Round Rock’s 88th win is a new club record for wins in a season. The Pacific Coast League second half title will come down to game No. 150 tomorrow. Round Rock needs a win combined with a Reno loss to make the postseason for the first time since 2019.
Express reliever RHP Edwar Colina (4-1, 4.65) earned the win after throwing 1.2 scoreless innings that included one hit, two walks and one strikeout. Rainiers starter LHP Logan Allen (6-2, 5.77) was dubbed with the night’s loss after allowing seven runs on 10 hits in 3.1 innings. The lefty walked three and struck out four.
Along the Train Tracks:
- Express 3B Davis Wendzel opened the scoring with a solo home run in the second inning. SS Jonathan Ornelas singled, stole second base and scored on a single from CF Elier Hernandez to make it 2-0 early.
- The Rainers took a 3-2 lead in the home half of the second inning after a solo home run from DH Zach DeLoach and a two-run homer from 2B Riley Unroe.
- Round Rock took back the lead in the fourth inning after a six-run frame that was capped off by another Wendzel home run. E-Train batters smacked four doubles, three singles and one home run in the frame to make it 8-3.
- With two outs in the fifth inning, Express 2B Justin Foscue launched his 18th home run of the season and pushed the lead to 9-3.
- A two-run home run from Rainiers LF Isiah Gilliam cut the lead down to 9-5 in the fifth inning.
- In the sixth inning, DH Dustin Harris doubled to score C Sam Huff. A two-out, two-run home run from RF Sandro Fabian tacked on two more runs and it was a 12-5 game.
- Unroe came back to the plate in the eighth inning for the Rainiers and launched a three-run home run as the Express led 12-8.
- Tacoma did not go quietly in the ninth inning. With the bases loaded, DeLoach singled home a run to cut the lead to 12-9. A fielder’s choice from Gilliam had the E-Train lead at 12-10 but RHP Alex Speas was able to cling on and get the final outs of the night to secure the win.
- With a single in the second inning, Express CF Elier Hernandez secured the most hits in a single-season in the club’s Triple-A history. Hernandez finished the night 2-for-6 with one double, two RBI and one run scored.
- Round Rock RHP Jack Leiter made his Triple-A debut on Saturday and tossed 3.1 innings while allowing three runs on eight hits with two walks and four strikeouts.
- Express 3B Davis Wendzel smacked his 28th and 29th home runs on Saturday. He is now fourth all-time on the franchise’s single-season home run list.
- The E-Train’s four home runs are tied for the most in a game this season and it was the fifth time that the team has launched four homers in a game this season.
Next up: Round Rock and Tacoma will play the final game of the regular season on Sunday afternoon at Cheney Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 3:35 p.m. CT. Express RHP Zak Kent (0-1, 3.03) will face off against Rainiers RHP Adam Oller (6-3, 4.45).
For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!