Round Rock Falls 13-0 to El Paso on Saturday Night
EL PASO, Texas – Saturday night saw the El Paso Chihuahuas (79-61) clinch the series win with a 13-0 victory over the Round Rock Express (75-65). The shutout marked the first of the season for the Express when playing on the road Texas Rangers RHP Spencer Howard (3-4, 4.05) was
EL PASO, Texas – Saturday night saw the El Paso Chihuahuas (79-61) clinch the series win with a 13-0 victory over the Round Rock Express (75-65). The shutout marked the first of the season for the Express when playing on the road
Texas Rangers RHP Spencer Howard (3-4, 4.05) was tagged with the loss after a 3.0-inning rehab start that saw six runs, four of which were earned, four hits, three walks and one strikeout. Chihuahuas LHP Jay Groome (2-2, 3.48) earned the win with a start that went 6.0 innings and saw six punchouts.
Along the Train Tracks:
- El Paso loaded the bases thanks to a Round Rock error, C.J. Hinojosa single and Kyle Martin walk to start the second inning. A double from LF Jarryd Dale sent 1B Taylor Kohlwey and Hinojosa home before Martin scored as CF Thomas Milone grounded out. Dale found home on a Matthew Batten groundout to make it a 4-0 game.
- The Chihuahuas dropped a seven-spot in the fourth on a combination of two singles, two doubles, three walks, a sacrifice bunt, sacrifice fly and a fielder’s choice. The first two outs helped El Paso runs to score and the final was made as Martin attempted to extend his double to a triple.
- The home team extended their lead to 12-0 in the sixth inning when RF Brandon Dixon and 3B Eguy Rosario hit back-to-back singles then moved into scoring position on a passed ball. C Brett Sullivan scored Dixon on a sacrifice fly for the frame’s only run.
- El Paso tacked on one more in the seventh as Dixon hit a double to send Milone home after he had worked a one-out walk.
- Round Rock RF Elier Hernandez and 1B Blaine Crim both finished Saturday night 2-for-4. Hernandez added a double to his night and each struck out once.
- Texas Rangers RHP Joe Barlow made his first rehab appearance for the Express on Saturday, tossing one hitless inning of relief that saw two strikeouts.
- Express RHP Chase Lee was the team’s only other pitcher that did not allow a run as he threw 1.0 frame out of the bullpen and allowed one hit while striking out one and inducing a double play.
Next up: Round Rock and El Paso face off in the series finale on Sunday afternoon. Express RHP Tyson Miller (4-7, 4.68) is scheduled to make the start up against Chihuahuas RHP Pedro Avila (6-2, 4.74). First pitch at Southwest University Park is slated for 1:05 p.m. CT.
Single game tickets are available for purchase or bring your group to Dell Diamond. For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!