Tickets now available for April 4th Crosstown Showdown vs. Spartans
Tickets are now available for the 15th annual Crosstown Showdown (CTSD) presented by Delta Dental at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4th, an exhibition game at Jackson® Field™ between the Lansing Lugnuts and the Michigan State University Spartans. Purchase your Crosstown Showdown tickets! CTSD Facts: - The Crosstown Showdown was
Tickets are now available for the 15th annual Crosstown Showdown (CTSD) presented by Delta Dental at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4th, an exhibition game at Jackson® Field™ between the Lansing Lugnuts and the Michigan State University Spartans.
Purchase your Crosstown Showdown tickets!
- The Crosstown Showdown was created in 2007 to celebrate baseball in Mid Michigan, bringing together Lansing and East Lansing. It was immediately a resounding success.
- In 14 exhibitions entering this year, the CTSD has drawn over 110,000 fans, headlined by the three largest crowds in stadium history (in 2008, 2009 and 2012).
- The average Crosstown Showdown attendance: 7,913.
- This year's exhibition is scheduled once again for seven innings. The last CTSD to go nine innings was in 2014.
- The Nuts have a 12-2 record against the Spartans, winning the last nine meetings.
- 40 future Major Leaguers have played in the game: one Spartan (A.J. Achter) and 39 Lugnuts.
- Future MLBers Brandon Hughes and Anthony Misiewicz were dressed and on hand for Crosstown Showdowns, but never saw action for MSU.
- Michigan State lost by slim margins in 2007 (4-3) and 2008 (4-2) before romping to their first victory in 2009, 12-2, before a crowd of 12,992. Catcher Eric Roof batted cleanup for the Spartans and went 2-for-4 with a single and a double; he is now the head baseball coach at Eastern Michigan University. Brother Jonathan, a teammate on those Spartans, is on his coaching staff.
- In 2011, the Spartans tallied twice in four innings against Lugnuts starting pitcher (and future Major Leaguer) Drew Hutchison for a 2-1 win.
- The largest crowd in ballpark history attended the 2012 CTSD, with 12,997 strong packing in to Aaron Sanchez, Jesse Hernandez, Roberto Osuna, Daniel Norris and Kevin Comer shut out the Spartans on only two hits. Future Major Leaguers Jon Berti, Carlos Pérez, Kevin Pillar and Andy Burns were in the Lugnuts lineup. The game was aired on BTN, so you can watch the highlights whenever you'd like.
- Look back at 2015 and marvel. The top five players in the Nuts' starting lineup (Tim Locastro, Richard Ureña, Rowdy Tellez, Ryan McBroom, and Danny Jansen) and four of the five Lugnuts pitchers (Justin Shafer, Conner Greene, Jesús Tinoco, and Sean Reid-Foley) all went on to make the Majors. The game was the second and most recent CTSD to air on BTN.
- The Lugnuts' coaching staff has also featured future MLBers, notably 2016 manager John Schneider, who is now the manager of the Toronto Blue Jays.
- Teenagers Bo Bichette and Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. made their Lugnuts debut in the 2016 CTSD, competing in a pre-game Home Run Derby. They lost to teammate Connor Panas, who then defeated MSU champ (and future Lugnut) Marty Bechina in the final.
- The Crosstown Showdown was played in April from 2007-2015, moved to September from 2016-2019, and then came back to April following a two-year hiatus last year.
- In the 2022 CTSD, top A's prospects Joey Estes, Lawrence Butler, Brett Harris, Tyler Soderstrom, Euribiel Ángeles and Brayan Buelvas all took part for the Nuts, who squeaked out a 3-2 win thanks to a two-run double in the second inning from Jack Winkler.
For more information about Michigan State baseball, click here. For more information about the Lansing Lugnuts, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
# # #